10 ways to speak for pets
Pets can’t speak for themselves. Despite the many ways pets make life better, enjoying a happy, healthy life with your pet can be a challenge. That’s why we’re working with communities and policy-makers across the country to make cities more pet-friendly.
Here’s how you can help:
1. Join us. Sign up to stay informed as we share more BETTER CITIES FOR PETS™ program information.
2. Learn the issues. Download the Playbook for Pet-Friendly Cities to understand the barriers to pet ownership and how to help.
3. Get involved. Take the Pet-Friendly City Assessment in your local community, to identify needs and opportunities.
4. Lead by example. Demonstrating responsible pet ownership – such as always using a leash and picking up pet waste – helps show pets can be a welcome addition, not a nuisance, in public places.
5. Share the tools. Our Resources page has numerous free downloads to help create pet-friendly places. Share the tools often.
6. Volunteer. Check with local pet shelters and rescues to see how you can help.
7. Advocate for pets. Write your local, state and national leaders, and advocate for pet-friendly policies. You can find some sample letters on our Resources page.
10. Raise your voice. Discuss the BETTER CITIES FOR PETS™ program with friends, neighbors, colleagues and others. And, post on social media about why pet-friendly cities matter to you.